The Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development (ORD) is a competitive research grant program under the Global Development Awards Competition 2021. The Awards Competition is administered by GDN and supported by the Ministry of Finance, Government of Japan. This award program identifies and funds outstanding research proposals with high potential for excellence in research and clear policy implications for addressing development issues.
GDN invites researchers from low-income or middle-income countries to submit research proposals within the theme, ‘International trade and the promotion of biodiversity,’ for the 2021 Edition of the Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development category of the Awards.
A direct link to the COVID-19 crisis is welcome, but not required. In light of the quickly changing scenario, proposals that integrate a focus on COVID-19 and related policy responses must explain how the quickly changing policy landscape is likely to impact the focus of the research.
The three winning projects will receive grants worth US$ 45,000. Finalists will be invited to join a communications training in preparation of a pitch of their project in front of a high-level Jury, which will decide which research proposal to award. A physical Award ceremony is planned in 2021, if conditions allow it, but projects are expected to start on 15 Jan 2022. The awards will be given to the researcher(s) whose proposals hold the greatest promise for improving our understanding of development issues and puts forth clear, articulate and well-researched policy implications to address relevant development problems.
The first prize winner will receive a grant of US$ 30,000. The second prize and third prize winners will receive a grant of US$ 10,000 and US$ 5,000 respectively. The funds will be used to support the research work proposed by the winners towards the completion of their research. Additionally, awardees will be paired with world-class academic in their area of work who will play the role of a Scientific and Technical Advisor to the winners.
The last date for submission was 9 June 2021 (Indian Standard Time 6:00 PM). The awards applications are now closed.
● Deadline for submissions: 29 July 2021
● Announcement of Eligibility screening results: 30 July 2021
● Announcement of First Level review results (shortlisted applications) and comments from reviewers: 30 August 2021
● Resubmission of updated application by the shortlisted applicants: 4 September 2021
● Announcement of Second Level review results (finalists) and comments from reviewers: 6 October 2021
● Resubmission of updated applications by the finalists: 11 October 2021
● Communication Training for finalists: 11-15 October 2021 (online)
● Finalists presentation at the Conference: 18-27 October 2021 (online - specific date to be confirmed)
● Announcement of winners: 27 October 2021
Note: Are you part of a non-profit Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) or Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) from a low or lower-middle-income country? Check the call for the 2021 edition of the Japanese Award for Most Innovative Development Project (MIDP).
Call for Proposals (competition guidelines, eligibility and review criteria, application procedure, selection process and a detailed description of the theme) | ORD Application Template | FAQs | Call for ORD Reviewers | Call for a Communications Training Consultant